Off-field transport of phosphorus from an Ultisol under pasture
PDF

How to Cite

Sotomayor-Ramírez, D., Martínez, G. A., Pérez-Alegría, L., & Ramírez-Ávila, J. (2006). Off-field transport of phosphorus from an Ultisol under pasture. The Journal of Agriculture of the University of Puerto Rico, 90(3-4), 159–172. https://doi.org/10.46429/jaupr.v90i3-4.1004

Abstract

Broadcast applications of inorganic fertilizer and organic amendments to pastures can contribute significant phosphorus (P) loads to surface waters. An experiment was conducted to quantify edge of field P concentrations in runoff and mass losses from plots in an Ultisol-Oxisol complex amended with two inorganic P levels [44 kg P/ha/yr (44PI) and 131 kg P/ha/yr (131 PI)], and an organic P source (broiler litter) [131 kg P/ha/yr (131 PC-)]. The total amount of P was split in two applications for the organic treatment and in four for the inorganic treatments. Vegetation within plots was mainly naturalized tropical pastures (80% coverage) and the soil slope was between 10 and 12%. Hydrologic discharge, suspended sediments, dissolved P and total P (TP) were quantified over a one-year period to 7 August 2003. Runoff from each field was diverted to a fractionator, where 1 or 10% was collected. Of the 174 precipitation events, 59 resulted in significant runoff, and hydrologic discharge accounted for 22% to 35% of the total rainfall (164.3 cm). Sediment losses ranged from 230 to 818 kg/ha. Cumulative TP mass losses were 3.19, 7.04, and 5.02 kg P/ha, for the 44PI, 131 PI, and 131PO treatments, respectively. These losses corresponded to 7.3, 4.9, and 3.5% of the annual P applied in the treatments 44PI, 131 PI, and 131PO, respectively. Although the magnitude of P losses was relatively low from an agricultural production standpoint, these can impact surface-water quality via nutrient enrichment. The greatest magnitude of TP mass losses occurred when application coincided with frequent intense rainfall events. RESUMEN Las aplicaciones de fertilizantes y enmiendas orgánicas a los suelos pueden contribuir cantidades significativas de fósforo (P) a las aguas superficiales. Se realizó un experimento para cuantificar las concentraciones de P en la escorrentía y las pérdidas en masa de P al borde de predio en un Ultisol enmendado con dos niveles de superfosfato triple como fuente inorgánica de P [44 kg P/ha/año (44 Pl) y 131 kg P/ha/año (131PI)] y una fuente orgánica de P [131 kg P/ha/año (131PO)] aplicado como pollinaza. La aplicación de P se fraccionó en dos para la fuente orgánica y en cuatro para la fuente inorgánica. La vegetación dentro de los predios era principalmente de pasturas tropicales naturalizadas y la pendiente varió entre 10 y 12%. La descarga hidrológica, sedimentos suspendidos, P disuelto y P total se cuantificaron durante un año. La escorrentía de cada parcela se canalizó hacia un fraccionador donde se recolectó el 1% o el 10% de la misma. De los 174 eventos de precipitación, 59 resultaron en escorrentía significativa, y la descarga hidrológica varió entre 22 y 35% de la totalidad (164.3 cm). Las pérdidas de sedimento variaron entre 230 y 818 kg/ha/año. Las pérdidas de P cumulativas fueron 3.19, 7.04, y 5.02 kg P/ha, para los tratamientos 44PI, 131 PI, y 131PO, respectivamente. Desde una perspectiva de producción agrícola, la magnitud de las pérdidas de P fueron bajas, pero estas cantidades pueden afectar las aguas superficiales vía el enriquecimiento nutricional. Las mayores pérdidas de P ocurrieron en periodos de tiempo cuando la aplicación coincidió con eventos de lluvia de relativamente alta intensidad y frecuencia.

 

https://doi.org/10.46429/jaupr.v90i3-4.1004
PDF

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.